My mom turns 70 today. In honor of this milestone, and of her, I thought I’d throw out 70 facts about her. So off we go….
1. She has the best smile of anyone I know. Period, the end. She smiles with her eyes, and is always sincere.
2. She played a mean trombone when she was younger. I actually have a record of her playing with her high school band. She rocked.
3. She lived next to and was friends with a prostitute when she was younger, though she was naïve and didn’t really know it at the time.
4. Her love of music led her to her love of my dad, which led to me and my brother. He was playing in a band at what I think was a bar. Their eyes met across the room…. (actually he might have known someone she knew, or something like that, and they were introduced? I should really ask her this question.)
5. She is kind.
6. She can solve most problems to do with fixing things. She’s very handy to have around because of this.
7. She isn’t above being silly, which I love about her.
8. She loves deeply.
9. She manages to handle tough situations with more light and grace than anyone I’ve ever met.
10. She’s one of the two best people I know, the other being my honey.
11. She went back to school when my brother and I were in grade school and got her degree in education.
12. I learned to play guitar because she took guitar in college.
13. She’s super artistic and can draw really well.
14. She really pays attention.
15. She was a Cub Scout leader.
16. Every time she made a pie when we were kids she made squirrel tails out of the extra dough. (squirrel tails are made of pie dough sprinkled with sugar and cinnamon and then rolled up, cut into little rounds, and baked… you should try them. Tasty!)
17. She used to read to us while we ate breakfast, before school. This gave me a huge love of books and words.
18. She’s a mean Scrabble player and we played a lot of Scrabble growing up.
19. She loves to laugh.
20. She’s an amazing gardener. She can grow anything, and has probably tried to.
21. She can carve a pumpkin better than anyone else I know.
22. She’s always there to help, genuinely.
23. She’s someone you can always count on.
24. She has big feet for a small woman, size 10.
25. She’s the second born child of seven siblings.
26. She worked at the Salem hospital for a few years.
27. She’s in much better shape than I am.
28. She used to be a Jazzersize fiend.
29. She makes me proud to be her daughter every day.
30. She’s a breast cancer survivor.
31. She can drive a tractor.
32. She took Latin in high school.
33. She’s lived in the same house since 1979.
34. She’s generous.
35. We’ve had many a dance party in various kitchens.
36. She’s incredibly smart.
37. She’s very emotional, which is where I get it I think. I’m glad of this.
38. She’s the one, and probably doesn’t know this, who got me interested in photography. She loves taking photos, the art of it, and has all my life.
39. She once slept in a hammock by a river in the jungles of Guatemala.
40. She has eaten some gross and disgusting things (this goes along with the category of will try almost anything) like crickets and fish eyes. Gross.
41. She loves road trips and travel in general.
42. She can fit into tiny spaces and is the person you want when you need to have a small area painted. Somehow she fits in there and gets the job done.
43. She loves to sing.
44. She used to make our clothes when Kev and I were younger.
45. She used to knit and I still have a crazy sweater she once made for me (at my request I think) that’s made up of all the left over yarn she had. It’s multi-colored and awesome.
46. My friends, throughout my life, have loved her and consistently told me how lucky I am to have her as a mom. They’ve been right.
47. She calls our dogs her grand dogs and they love her tremendously.
48. She was a row boss when Kev and I picked strawberries as kids. She was tough.
49. She once substitute taught for one of my grade school classes, I believe it was 5th grade. She was hard on me. I deserved it.
50. She’s a mama bear when someone threatens one of her cubs. You don’t want to mess with her when she’s defending someone she loves.
51. She’s vegan and has been for a few years now. Even still, she calls herself a weekend carnivore as she sometimes eats meat on special occasions.
52. She’s open to and interested in other people’s ideas and thoughts.
53. She’s a staunch supporter of her gay daughter and her gay daughter’s partner. It breaks her heart when discrimination of any kind is mentioned to or seen by her.
54. She used to fly fish the Metolious River with me, and my brother. I loved that time with her.
55. She used to be a little overweight, but decided to lose it and has kept it off. It’s inspiring and she looks awesome.
56. She always swam with us when we were kids. I have great memories of being in pools with her at little motels all over the place when we’d go on family vacations.
57. She used to water ski, and we have the super 8 video to prove it.
58. She has an adventurous spirit and loves to do new things, try new things, and push herself.
59. She’s brave.
60. She once traveled across the country in a train.
61. She has the best laugh.
62. She has a big love of family.
63. She’s interested in how things work and is curious by nature.
64. She’s played miniature golf on a cruise ship and eaten pineapple on Antigua.
65. She’s always the first to volunteer help when someone needs it.
66. She did a 4 day 40 mile hike along the Rogue River.
67. She grew up on a farm where my grandparents, for a time, practiced the ‘have more’ plan. Basically self-sufficient farming, etc.
68. She’s had to shoot many a skunk and possum in her life. She doesn’t like it, but does it because it needs to be done.
69. She knows what’s important in life, and has always made that clear, and thankfully, passed it down to me.
70. She is loved so much by so many people it’s pretty amazing. I doubt she knows how much people think of her, or how much she means to so many. She’s humble like that.
I love you Mom. More than I could ever express. I am so lucky to have you in my life, and I’m thankful for it every day. Happy birthday!